Quick and Savory: Ricotta and Basil Tart
Something delicious and savory for your next dinner party, book club discussion,
or exhibition opening right from the Haven kitchen. Enjoy.
Ricotta and Basil Tart
2 cups basil leaves
1 cup flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
2 eggs, 1 egg yolk
1 3/4 pounds ricotta cheese
1/2 cup black olives, pitted
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
For the crust (if you’re not going to use a pre-made crust)
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut in pieces
3 tablespoons cold margarine, cut in pieces
3-4 tablespoons ice water
1. For the crust, combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and margarine.
2. Cut in with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in just enough water to bind the dough. Gather into a ball, wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
3. Place a baking sheet in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
4. Roll out the dough 1/4 inch thick and transfer to a 10 inch tart pan. Prick the base with a fork and line with crumpled wax paper. Fill with pie weights and bake for 12 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and bake until golden, 3-5 minutes more. Lower the heat to 350 degrees.
5. In a food processor, combine the basil, parsley, and olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper and process until finely chopped.
6. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and yolk to blend. Gently fold in the ricotta.
7. Fold in the basil mixture and olives until well combined. Stir in the Parmesan and adjust the seasoning.
8. Pour into the preheated shell and bake until set, 30-35 minutes.